District News-Sani5 Web Admin
Saturday, 27 November 2010: 7685 Hits
Financial Statements Are Online
Audited financial statements for the District's 2010-2011 Fiscal Year, as well as the District’s FY 2012-2013 Budget, are now posted. You are encouraged to peruse them both.
Declining Fees and Revenues
Sanitary District No. 5 has been affected by the declining economy. Fees from household connections have declined with the decrease in residential construction, and the State of California will 'borrow' for up to three years, up to 8% of the District's tax based revenue (resulting in potential revenue shortfall of up to $67,000).
Steps We Are Taking
- The District has judiciously pared back non-critical planned capital improvements, but maintenance will continue as planned.
- "In-Sourcing" of Large Projects :
- District staff has saved significantly (over $500,000) by delivering on large projects using internal resources rather than hiring outside engineering firms to perform the work.
Anticipate Proposed 2010 - 2014 Rate Increases
The cost of operations and capital improvement projects continues to escalate.
While the current rates are (barely) adequate to keep up with increases in operational costs, they do not allow the District to maintain sufficient contingency or capital improvement reserves.
In 2008-2009, the Board of Directors voted not to enact the rate increase approved as part of the last Prop. 218 process. It did vote to approve the 2009-2010 4% rate increase and is initiating a 218 process to investigate rate increases which would take effect in 2010 through 2014.
The District will be holding the following Community Forums to dicuss these potential rate increases:
- April 27, 2010 at 7pm: Focus on Tiburon zone, at Tiburon Town Hall: 1505 Tiburon Blvd., Tiburon, CA
- April 28, 2010 at 7pm: Focus on Belvedere zone, at Belvedere City Hall: 450 San Rafael Ave., Belvedere, CA
Please come to these Community Forums to review our needed wastewater system improvements and proposed rate changes, and to have your questions answered and provide your input.